- TOTAL TIME
- 25 minutes
- PREP TIME
- 10 minutes
- COOK TIME
- 15 minutes
- 6 servings,
about 1 1/2 cups each
- VEGGEMO FLAVOR
- 3 tbsp sunflower or other neutral tasting vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red or white new potatoes (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp ground chipotle (optional – smoky and spicy!)
- 1 1/2 cups good quality vegetable stock
- 3 cups frozen corn, defrosted, divided
- 1 1/2 cups Veggemo Unsweetened
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups cooked black beans (1 x 15 1/2 oz can, drained and rinsed)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup seeded and diced very ripe (or canned) tomatoes (optional)
- Plain non-dairy sour cream or yogurt of choice
- Chopped cilantro or green onions
- More cooked corn
- A squeeze of lime juice and/or a bit of lime zest
1. Cook onions and garlic in oil in pot over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in potatoes, chili powder, coriander, cumin and chipotle and cook for another 30 seconds. Stir in stock, cover and cook until potatoes are almost tender, about 7–10 minutes.
2. Place half of potato mixture in blender with 2 cups of corn and Veggemo; puree until smooth. Return to pot. Stir in remaining corn and the black beans. If too thick, stir in more Veggemo. Season to taste.
3. Just a minute or two before serving, stir in tomatoes and serve when tomatoes have softened.
4. Garnish to your heart’s desire!
Grilled or steamed corn on the cob tastes great in this soup! Each ear of corn yields about half a cup of niblets.