- TOTAL TIME
- 8 hours
- PREP TIME
- 5 minutes
- COOK TIME
- 1 – 2 minutes
- 2 Servings
- VEGGEMO FLAVOUR
- Original or Unsweetened or Vanilla
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) regular rolled large flake oats
- 1 2/3 cup (400 ml) Veggemo Original, Unsweetened or Vanilla
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sweetener of choice i.e. brown sugar, agave nectar, maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) apple pie spice mix (purchased or see recipe, below)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) raisins or combination of your favourite dried fruits
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped nuts
- Pinch salt
- 1 apple
1. Stir all ingredients (except apple) together (save a few raisins and nuts for garnishing, if desired). Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Just before serving, peel apple, grate and stir into oatmeal. Heat in microwave or on stove top until piping hot. Let stand one minute. Stir in additional Veggemo for desired consistency. Sprinkle with reserved nuts and raisins.
Apple Pie Spice = 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cinnamon + 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground nutmeg + 1/8 tsp (0.5 ml) ground cardamom + a pinch ground allspice. You’ll have some left over for another day.
Oatmeal thickens as it stands – stir in additional Veggemo to reach desired consistency.
Want to make it now and can’t wait overnight? Combine all ingredients (except the apple) and microwave for 3-4 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Peel and grate the apple into the oatmeal, stir and microwave one more minute until hot and cooked through. The nuts will still be rather crunchy – so enjoy that way or leave them out.